Monday, December 27, 2010

Anatomy of a Song - The Hidden Message Edition

For those of you that know me, you know I'm a fan of almost all music... but my favorite kind of music is Country... and this post is dedicated to who I think is the best of the most recent acts... and quite possibly one of the greatest songs I've heard in a long time...

This one is getting the full treatment...

If you appreciate good, powerful music, then you NEED to check out this song... After the jump...


I'm going to post the lyrics and the closest thing I could find for streaming the song... LISTEN TO IT...

This is quite possibly one of the best songs I've heard in quite a long time, and by what I understand it has a double meaning...

What song is it? "Colder Weather" by Zac Brown Band. I'm not sure if it's on the radio yet, but as I understand it, it is/will be the next single from this Grammy Award winning band(2010 Best New Artist across all genres). I bought the first album "The Foundation" knowing I was getting something special, but I got the second one "You Get What You Give" not knowing I was getting something much much better.

If you've never heard Zac Brown Band before, they are a mixture of classic Country, Charlie Daniel's Band's instrumentals, new wave country attitude, and alot of what I'm gonna call "Jimmy Buffett" Country(see Kenny Chesney), so it wasn't much of a surprise that Jimmy Buffett does a duet on a song called "Knee Deep"...... the first single off "You Get What You Give" was "as She's Walking Away" with Alan Jackson, a song about being too scared to talk a girl that catches you eye, and ruminating about it after she's gone... remind you of anyone?... but this song "Colder Weather"... Best on the album... Period... But again it has a double meaning...

First meaning, a love lorn song about a drifter and his long lost love that he just can't seem to make it back too...

Second meaning... I saw it posted on a site, but I'm still looking for an actual statement, or close to it... by my understanding, they wrote this song about drug addiction. Zac Brown's brother is an addict and, Zac lost someone else close to them because of those drugs... "Colder Weather" symbolizes drugs, as in "ice"...

So here are the lyrics to this love lorn/drug-addiction struggle song... if you just want to listen to it, the player will be after it...


"Colder Weather" by Zac Brown Band

She'd trade Colorado if he'd take her with him
Closes the door before the weather lets the cold in
And wonders if her love is strong enough to make him stay
She's answered by the tail lights
Shining through the window pane

He said I wanna see you again
But I'm stuck in colder weather
Maybe tomorrow will be better
Can I call you then?
She said you're a ramblin' man
You ain't ever gonna change
You got a gypsy soul to blame
And you were born for leavin'

At a truck stop diner just outside of Lincoln
The night is black as the coffee he was drinkin'
And in the waitress' eyes he see the same ol' light shinin'
He thinks of Colorado
And the girl he left behind him

He said I wanna see you again
But I'm stuck in colder weather
Maybe tomorrow will be better
Can I call you then
She sad you're a ramblin' man
You ain't ever gonna change
You got a gypsy soul to blame
And you were born for leavin'
Born for leavin'

Well it's a winding road
When you're in the lost in found
You're a lover I'm a runner
We go round and round
And I love you but I leave you
I don't want you but I need you
You know it's you who calls me back here babe

Oh I wanna see you again
But I'm stuck in colder weather
Maybe tomorrow will be better
Can I call you then
Cause I'm a ramblin' man
I ain't ever gonna change
I got a gypsy soul to blame
And I was born for leavin'
Born for leavin'

As I close my eyes I see you
No matter where I am
I can smell your perfume through these whispering pines
I'm with your ghost again
It's a shame about the weather
I know soon we'll be together
And I can't 'til then
I can't wait 'til then


There it is, I hope you like this song... I know I do... leave your comments, and if you can, help me verify the story about the drug-addiction meaning of this song... I'm too tired to search any more...


I'm glad to share this song with you all... but then again,  remember this, there is a good reason Zac Brown Band got the Grammy for Best New Artist... check out the rest of their music... they WILL be the best group in country music very very soon...

1 comment:

  1. ZBB is a great band, and I'm always wondering about this song. The addiction spin kind of makes sense. What about the opening line, she'd trade Colorado? Thanks for posting this.

    ReplyDelete