Monday, September 5, 2011

The New Review - Red State - EVERYWHERE


The New Review


"Red State" written and directed by Kevin Smith
Starring Michael Parks, Melissa Leo, John Goodman

I've been waiting for this one... if you haven't read my original post on this movie/subject material, I suggest you do that HERE...

Jump with me, will you...


Background Check: Kevin Smith's legacy is littered with stoner flicks and fart jokes, and I for one am NOT complaining. I have enjoyed every single one of Kevin's films, everything from his original "Clerks", to "Dogma"(which is on My Big Movie List btw), "Chasing Amy"(which I may put on the list in place of Dogma... tbd folks) with an amazing piece of vocal awesomeness from Kevin himself in the movie(the Chasing Amy speech), I even liked both "Jersey Girl" & "CopOut"......... but before you quickly accuse me of getting ready to be biased, "Red State" is a deviation from what Kevin Smith is famous for...... again, for more about that... LOOK HERE

Concept: Three teenage boys answer a Craigslist like ad for a woman to have sex with all three of them from a town not too far from their own. They walk into what seems to be ecstasy for them, only to enter a living hell of a nightmare religious agenda from a man named Abin Cooper.

Execution
Cast: This cast is what you would expect from a Kevin Smith film. An Oscar winner, mixed with Oscar caliber, toss in a few up and comers, and fill in with some close friends(and of course his own wife). Michael Angarano, Nicholas Braun, & Kyle Gallner do well to fit the bill of "usual" Kevin Smith characters. Melissa Leo throws out another Oscar-worthy performance. I have to admit it was kinna cool to see John Goodman as the "good guy". BUT Michael Parks steals this show...... no other way to put it than that... Score: 9/10

Characters: This is one of the areas this movie falls flat... but it does it with purpose. Only one character is given any pull. None of the other characters have enough in them to really give them any weight. Yeah, you kinna get behind the 3 teenager boys, wondering if any of them will make it alive, but that becomes an after thought for the most part...... the one that shines though is Michael Parks' Abin Cooper. You quickly figure out who he is, why he is, and most importantly, you easily begin to hate him. Because of this, Abin Cooper becomes the only important character, like the movie and the world should revolve around him, like the character himself would like to think. I dunno if this was intentional, but it was affective...... down because of lack of development all around, but up slightly just for Abin Cooper... Score: 7/10

Story: This is one of those times that characters and story do NOT have a direct effect on one another. Lack of character development is really explained through the flow and pace of the story. Of course, you do get quite a bit for Abin Cooper, but he really is the only important character in this movie, everyone is nothing more than an after thought. The plot and execution are an extension of if Abin was a real person himself. The way he carries himself, he believes that only HE is right, and that the world should think the way he does and revolve around him, and THAT is the design of this story. Barely under 90 mins, it doesn't have room for lag, and there really isn't one... could've be longer, regardless of character development...... however, this was not a horror film, as it was billed, but more of a modern thriller....... Score: 8/10

Visual: I dunno if it's just me, but Red State has a Devil's Rejects type visual feel to me. I can't explain it... I could try, but it's something that's gotta be seen to see why I say it. Some great splatter effects, especially for a $5000 FX budget. BUT the overall feel leaves something to be desired, not much because it's not as important, but there just seems to be something missing. As for the Devil's Rejects feel, it does have a Vintage quality to it, subtle, definitely not as prominent as Rejects. The compound definitely has a "Waco for the Midwest Redneck" look to it, and it makes it feel even more Vintage, while keeping a modern day tone... Score: 7/10

Sound: I was impressed. This movie does NOT have a legit soundtrack, which makes it even better. All the music is self-contained, nothing more than what was actually sung or played during the course of the film. No "playover" so to speak. That was something I think was a great move, in that, most "horror" films have that track that plays when something bad is going to happen. If you don't have a "soundtrack", then you don't have that sense of expecting the next fright...... Score: 9/10

Humor: Rule is: If it's supposed to be funny, and it isn't, it's bad. And vice versa. That boundary is stretched by this movie, but in a good way. Up until the twist, it feels like Kevin Smith's usual stoner class of comedy. After that twist, all sense of humor nearly vanishes, to the point you might not be sure you're still watching the same movie. But here is the line straddler... there are a few lines placed nearly perfectly as to not turn a scene funny, but to remind the viewer whose movie you're watching. Example: my favorite line: "Simple just shit itself."......... Score: 9/10

Action: Just like Humor, there is a place for it, and a way to execute it. The gunfight scene was inevitable, but the action was great, splatter effects were sickening to a point, yet low-key to not draw attention away from the point of the film. AND the greatest part of the action was the "Sweet tea" scene during the gunfight... made it look like they were a part of something they did everyday...... Score: 9/10

Flow: This movie flowed pretty well. For the length of the movie, it needed to. While I did notice a few hiccups, those were kindly explained, and retroactively made "all better"......... Score: 9/10

Closure: Since there really wasn't any character development, there really was no need for closure to anything but the story. The last two scenes(no spoilers) seemed to break the direction of the movie, it also ended up being the best way to bring the story to a close. AND the end of the movie is about as much of a twist as the meat of the story itself...... Score: 9.5/10

Extra Oomph: The greatest two things this movie has going for it are as follows. One) This movie has been hyped all to hell, for the reception at Sundance to the Red State Cross-Country Tour, it has been THE most hyped of Kevin Smith's movies. Two) It is a truly contemporary story. If you read the other post or not, Abin Cooper & 5 Points Trinity is loosely based on Fred Phelps & The Westboro Baptist Church(though just how loosely really?). That makes this a truly modern day issue. Something that very well could happen today, and I'm quite surprised it hasn't happened just like this. In a truly LMFAO moment, Fred Phelps and the WBC is actually mentioned during the course of this movie......... Score: 9.5/10

Final Score: 86/100           That would be a B

Conclusion: I loved this movie. I say that because I'm so against the Westboro Baptist Church, and all of the anti-gay propaganda that groups like these spew into the world everyday. I'm proud that someone made a movie like this, and even better that it was a genius like Kevin Smith. I will admit, I'm NOT a man of faith, I never will be, BUT I never will hold it against someone... unless you are one of these kinds of people. If you are one of these self-righteous, anti-gay, stupidly conservative fucks, then I wouldn't watch this movie... it'll make you go poopy in your pants. If you aren't but know someone who is, find them, tie them to a chair, taped their eyelids open, and MAKE them watch this movie... maybe then they will finally see what they are doing is wrong. If you are a Kevin Smith fan, this movie IS a 180 from his normal work, and while I enjoy his normal stuff, I think he should do more like this... (HEAR THAT MEGA MOVIE COMPANIES, GIVE KEVIN YOUR MONEY). And as for me loving this movie, hold on... it will be making it's way into My Big Movie List shortly.

It's all a matter of opinion:
I cannot stress enough that THIS is MY opinion, you can either agree with me or not... I don't have to justify my opinion, because *clear throat* that's what this blog is about. Whether I like it or not doesn't mean you have to or not...... it's just my justification for giving you all MY recommendation...... which leads me to my FINAL JUDGMENT

FINAL JUDGMENT:
If you haven't had the honor and/or privilege to watch this movie, and you can handle the bare-bones-truth, visit this website for Red State. This will be hitting DVD and Blu-Ray in October, and if you are a Kevin Smith fan, buy this movie, it will be a top-shelf film. But if you are just a casual Kevin Smith fan, or maybe even if you don't like him at all, check out that Red State website so you can see it now, or just rent it when it comes out, and you can decide whether you want to buy it or not, it may NOT be for everyone. And if you are one of those nonsense speaking, anti-gay dumbasses, don't buy it. I don't want Kevin to be responsible for the mess in your pants.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I will admit, this film almost lost me. There is a long sermon-like speech from Abin Cooper, that I realize was to establish his character and the feel of the movie, but I can't stand sermons and/or preachy people... I came close to fast forwarding through it, but I'm glad I didn't, because 15 secs into it, you start hating Abin Cooper, but by the end of it, you wanna shoot him yourself. Wise choice from Kevin Smith, and wise choice by me to finish the scene. It was as good as I hoped it would be, but then again, I didn't know what to expect, but it was good enough to deserve a spot on my list...... JUST for Michael Parks/Abin Cooper alone.

Also, in a very nice touch, when you make it to the end, and start the credits, the cast is split up into three specific groups. Sex, Religion, Politics. I think that is a very cool, interesting way of ending the movie, after the movie is already over.

There it is folks, I just gave Red State an 86... That's a B in most states, even the "Red" ones... and just still pretty good.

If you can handle it, and it's controversy, see this film. It's on Android, iTunes, YouTube, even on Comcast On Demand, but it will run you $9.99 just to see it. Is it worth it? You bet it is, but if you don't want to pay that, it'll be on physical disc formats in October. Find a way to see it...

I dunno what the next one will be... but I have free tickets for any movie I choose...... so another one soon...

When it's over, come back and thank me...

~The Master is Out...

Special Note: If you are real fan of mine, and are willing to do something really really nice for me, gift me. On the Cooper's Dell Website, there are pre-order(currently) packages you can... uh... pre-order...... there is a package SCREAMING my name... it has the "soundtrack", and one I can share(don't really care, but comes with them all), but it comes with an autographed Blu-Ray or DVD and an autographed poster... both signed by Kevin Smith himself... I, of course, prefer Blu-Ray, but not important. It's the $45 package...... I would literally trade just about anything in my collection to get this...... help me... please....... I beg you......... pleeeeeeease...... Hell, it even looks like the $30 package, without the poster, still has the Blu-Ray or DVD signed...... either one........ heeeeeelp me...... get... this......

Okay, act of sheer grovelling over......(not really)...

No comments:

Post a Comment