Monday, March 7, 2011

The New Review - Faster Blu-ray

It's been a little while... let's see what damage we can do... or even undo...

Dwayne, the action genre missed you, welcome back...

The New Review


"Faster"
Starring: Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson, Billy Bob Thornton

Background Check: As far as I know, this movie in original IP, so not based on any books or comics or anything of that nature(correct me if I'm wrong)... For those that don't know, Dwayne Johnson aka The Rock electrified fans while becoming one of WWE's most recognizable names in their history... a definite Hall of Famer and I predict that he will be the first wrestler-turned-actor that will win an Oscar or any other kind of GOOD movie award(Golden Globes, etc...)... and I have to say, any movie with Billy Bob in it is worth at least a Silver statue...... I digress, moving on...

Concept: Dwayne Johnson plays a man who is just getting out of prison, and his mission is to kill EVERYONE involved with the murder of his brother in cold blood, and responsible for him taking the fall(sorta... watch the movie to know what exactly)... BUT there is a rich man genius turned assassin out to kill him instead... along with two cops trying to track him down and figure out why only these victims, played by Thornton and Carla Gugino(woohoo)...

Execution: I have to say the character and story development where subpar at best, but for the main characters, you never know their names, they are just Driver, Killer, and Cop... you have no name attachment to these characters, so no real development is needed, only enough story to tell why Driver is doing what he's doing, why Killer is doing what he's doing, and why Cop is doing what he's doing...... and that's what we get, and even with no real name/personal attachment to these three, you(the viewer) is made to feel bad for each of them, BUT you only root for one of them, you can't figure out one, and the other. you kinna hate him...... leaving you with three main characters that are extremely diverse and still almost the same, without any REAL development... how the writers/director/producers pulled that off, I have no idea...... the supporting cast was good at doing just that, and each victim was made to feel like nothing more than a numbered face, because that's exactly how Driver sees them...... and as for the flow of the movie, it didn't have flow, it had momentum... as the plot was going on, the flow got faster(no pun here), and when it hit a M. Night like plot twist, it's like the flow of the movie was just like me, it hit that twist, and the flow was like "no shit!?!"...... and proceeded to collect that momentum into the direction it wanted it to go... one last note about Dwayne's character is that he doesn't talk much... and it makes his character more interesting because of it...

Rate me please:
Cast: 9/10

Aside from main 4, rest "mostly" relative unknowns you wouldn't care about anyway...
Characters: 7/10

I would've had just alittle more on Driver
Story: 6/10
Not much to story, good plot, just not a story
Visual: 7/10
Shooting and blood splatter, camera effects helped alot in driving sequences
Sound: 8/10
Gun shots woke my dog up, so it did it's job...
Humor: 8/10
The momentum of the movie made it so you never really know if it would've fit
Action: 12/10
Plenty of it...... PLENTY

Flow: 12/10
Momentum... like X-Men's Juggernaut...
Closure: 8/10
Docking it only because the momentum I mentioned hits a brick wall...
Extra Oomph: 9/10
The "No Shit" plot twist moment makes me want to see it again...

Total Score: 86/100
Decent, but no Oscar for this one...

In closure: I'm not going to ruin this one either, but I will say this, the "No Shit" moment reminds me of both Hancock when you find out Charlize Theron's got powers too... and The Sixth Sense when you found out Bruce Willis was dead the whole time, and you needed to watch it again to see if you could match it up...... I AM watching Faster again just for that reason... well, that AND it was a good movie... AND I think Carla Gugino is pretty hot... um, didn't she play alongside Dwayne in Race to Witch Mountain?


It's all a matter of opinion: I cannot stress enough that THIS is my opinion, you can either agree with me or not... I don't have to justify my opinion, because *clear throat* that's what this blog is about. Whether I like it or not doesn't mean you have to or not...... it's just my justification for giving you all MY recommendation...... which leads me to my FINAL JUDGMENT

FINAL JUDGMENT: If you like action films, then what are you doing here, go buy this movie... if you are a fan of The Rock, then go buy three copies, in case the first two get scratched or worn out... and if you don't fit into either category, then at least rent it... see if you like it...
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well folks, there it is, a score of 86/100 for Faster...

If you are wondering: #1: I referred to him as Dwayne for most of the review because this movie was not from The Rock... a movie from "The Rock" would have more electricity coming from his disposition... Driver WAS NOT like that... Driver was a stone stoic shattered man with a mission where nothing else matter... some supporting characters had more lines than him... I categorize that as a non-Rock role... so, more "Dwayne Johnson: Movie Star"



If you are wondering: #2: Where do I rank Faster for Dwayne? not his best movie he's made thus far, I give that to The GamePlan... BUT Faster is by far the BEST action film he's made so far... better than Scorpion King(I liked it)... better than The Rundown(I sorta liked it)... and yes, better than Walking Tall(I really like it)... so, I would say Faster is his second best so far...

If you are wondering: #3: I like this one: comparing The Rock and John Cena as actors... actions stars, they are equal... dramatic, Gridiron Gang & Southland Tales were much better than Legendary...... and Cena hasn't been in any comedies yet... BUT... both of them are better than Hulk Hogan in movies... and by far, Dwayne Johnson is the best all-around actor to come out of wrestling...... now someone go tell Hogan to put that in his ass so Bischoff can smoke it......

I've seen Dwayne Johnson do action, comedy, and drama... and I know he's got Fast Five coming out this year... I think he needs to do a horror film next...... Doom doesn't count... I said HORROR... not movie based on a video game TRYING to be horror...



Well, again, there it is...

When it's over, come back to thank me...

Tune in next time to "The New Review" when I review whatever movie I damn well please...

~The Master is Out

No comments:

Post a Comment