Friday, July 27, 2012

The New Review - Marvel's The Avengers

The first of two I'm behind on...



Well, The Avengers... the greatest movie team up of all time... Did it work?

The New Review

Marvel's The Avengers

Directed by Joss Whedon
Starring: Robert Downey Jr., Chris Evans, Chris Hemsworth, Samuel L. Jackson, and many others

Jump with me



Background Check:
This is what Marvel Studios was toward for a handful of years. Get Hulk, Iron Man, Thor, Captain America, and some not so minor heroes like Black Widow and Hawkeye established... then team them up to kick major ass. How did it work? Did it work? Did it deserve all that money it made? Was it enough for Joss Whedon to build a real Iron Man suit?

Concept: Earth's Mightiest Heroes teaming up to take down Thor's brother Loki and his alien army invading the Earth... pretty simple, right?

Execution
Cast: Downey, Evans, Hemsworth, Johannson, Jackson, Renner, Hiddleston, Ruffalo... You knew exactly what you were getting into when you signed up for this movie, and it didn't disappoint. It actually surprised me just how well they worked together. Score: 10/10

Characters: There was no character development, BUT that's what the solo movies were for, that is how this program was designed, which worked out well for the main cast, but what about Fury, what about Hawkeye... maybe just alittle more background on those two would've been cool. Maybe just a flashback sequence or something. But in the grand scheme, it doesn't make as much of an impact. Score: 8/10

Story:
This is a build-up story. You know that's what the solo movies were for, and this was just the climax chapter of a really good book. With that in mind, this movie still had enough of a story/plot, that it didn't feel like it was disconnected. Basic could this team work together idea... and it worked pretty well. Score: 10/10

Visual:
Each of the solo movies were visual spectacles, engineered to keep you on the edge of your seat... so a team up this big would garner a visual masterpiece, right? Well, how about this - Score: 10/10

Sound:
Yes, and plenty of it. The visuals put you on the edge of your seat, and the sound knocked you back into the lap of the person behind you... Score: 10/10

Humor:
It's Joss Whedon, I'm sure you knew it was going to have plenty of it. I think the humor was placed just right, but I also think there might've been too much of it, just slightly, even if it did capture moments and placed in spots where it should go. Score: 9/10

Action:
Ha, what do you think? Score: 10/10

Flow:
Started kinna fast and hectic, and when you finally do catch up, it settles you in for a series of events that are near-perfectly placed, and let's you see it all unfold into the best climax I've seen in awhile. Score: 10/10

Closure:
This movie not only need a good ending, it WAS a good ending, and it needed to be. It tied up the entire project in a flashy package, and of course, an extra scene during the credits made you hungry for more... Score: 10/10

Extra Oomph:
Here's the thing... you knew what to expect from Downey, Hemsworth, Evans, Jackson... But there were two wildcards: Jeremy Renner and Mark Ruffalo. Ruffalo replaced the excellent Edward Norton as Banner/Hulk, and I think he did a better job. Renner... well, I think he stole the show... Enough so, that I personally think he took some of the thunder from the headliners. That's a good thing, but somewhat of a bad thing too. Also, I'd like to point out, if you missed any of the Solo series, you might be lost if you don't know comics... those two combined, I'm forced to go... Score: 8/10

Final Score: 95/100                      A Solid A for Avengers

Conclusion: It did work, it worked very well, so much so, I can't wait for more solo movies, and a sequel, and Mark Ruffalo should get his own Hulk movie. Oh, and Jeremy Renner was so awesome as Hawkeye, he should get his own damn movie. Was this movie worth it? Did it earn the records/money it made? You bet it did!!!


It's all a matter of opinion: I cannot stress enough that THIS is MY opinion, you can either agree with me or not... I don't have to justify my opinion, because *clear throat* that's what this blog is about. Whether I like it or not doesn't mean you have to or not...... it's just my justification for giving you all MY recommendation...... which leads me to my FINAL JUDGMENT

FINAL JUDGMENT: If you are one of the few souls who haven't seen this movie, I'm so sorry for you. You are missing out on a great movie, hands down, one of the best of the year...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There ya go, "Marvel's The Avengers" gets a 95... a solid A

When it's released on Blu-ray, you bet I will be there... We should all ASSEMBLE!!

Here in just a moment, I will take care of Spidey too

When's it's over, come back and thank me...

No comments:

Post a Comment