Wednesday, July 27, 2011

The New Review - Captain America: First Avenger - Theater


The New Review
"Captain America: First Avenger"
Starring Chris Evans, Hugo Weaving, Hayley Atwell, Tommy Lee Jones, Sebastian Stan
Directed by Joe Johnston


Background Check: We knew this one was coming... ever since the announcement of The Avengers movie coming, you can't have The Avengers without ol' Cap.........

Concept: the story follows a young weakling named Steve Rogers, hellbent and determined to get into the US Armed Services so he can fight some Nazis during World War II...... becomes subject to an experiment to turn him into the closest thing to a perfect soldier...... and into everyone's favorite shield bearing superhero symbol of American Pride...

Execution
Cast: Going into this movie, I was worried, but only slightly... I knew that Hugo Weaving would make a great Red Skull, and he didn't disappoint at all... I was worried about Chris Evans... Evans is famous for playing the goofball, humorous parts...... but as Steve Rogers, he was serious enough to be believable...... my hats off for that...... Hayley Atwell as the hot eye candy was both boobtastic(sorry, had to) and enjoyable to watch as the early S.H.I.E.L.D. agent, Peggy Carter.......... overall, not a SINGLE complaint 10/10

Characters: a believable hero you can get behind, and villain you want to get his ass kicked, wonderful supporting cast within the Marvel Universe, including giving us a young Howard Stark(father of Iron Man), Gabe Jones, and future S.H.I.E.L.D. agent Dum Dum Dugan...... 9.5/10

Story: as for as superhero origin stories go, this one was one of the best because it told the REAL origin... not just how we got to this point and how we got there...... it was the whole story of how Captain America got transposed from his time in the 1940s to modern times... and made to look like a superhero movie wrapped in a period piece...... easily... 10/10

Visual: from Captain America's evolving costume/body armor and shield, to the Noir feeling to the World War II New York environment, to the frozen peaks, this movie was beautifully done...... done in a fish out of water getting picked up and moved to an empty lake feel...... and making Chris Evans look smaller to play the smaller Steve Rogers....... while not new, it made it feel better to me...... though the USO shows might've been too advanced for the time period... I didn't live in that period, so I don't really know, and it's such a small thing to worry about...... it deserves...... 10/10

Sound: period music, including the troop of hot USO singing chorus line girls... who reminded me alot of the ones from Stark Expo in Iron Man 2...... minor, they did get on my nerves pretty quick........ 9.5/10

Humor: again, Chris Evans is famous for funny goofball roles, but most of the humor didn't come from him, but from Tommy Lee Jones, naturally...... and not to the point of hahaha funny... more to the point that the humor was a distraction for them having to fight the Nazis...... 9/10

Action: it is a period piece about a Super Soldier fighting in World War II... and the action depicts just that... though somewhat limited, it emphasized Steve Rogers' personal resolve and his ability to fight the Nazis with a shield and very few firearms...... 9/10

Flow: actually pretty impressive... nothing really halts the pace, and never once did the flow of the story worry about where it was going more than what it needed to do at the point...... it all makes sense... all flows...... I haven't seen that awesome of a flow was The Dark Knight... 10/10

Closure: I like the way this movie... where it did... made all of us want more... not just The Avengers next year, I mean a sequel with just Captain America, about him in modern time...... and you are so behind Steve Rogers, that by the last few sequences of the movie, you have a respect for him, and thus genuinely feel sorry for how he ended up...... 10/10

Extra Oomph: simply the environment... the period piece feel, combined with the right combination of actors will give you a movie that should make you feel better... and Joe Johnston did just that with this movie...... 10/10

FINAL SCORE: 97/100                absolutely amazing

Conclusion: This movie was a feel better movie... it had a hidden message through Steve Rogers that made it great...... an easy top tier movie, and is now resting in my top 10 list...... it is a work of art...... proof that Marvel can finally make a move as good as DC/WB's The Dark Knight, without being as darkhearted...... Joe Johnston is responsible for a few good classics like "Batteries Not Included" & "Honey I Shrunk The Kids", but a few clunkers along the way(like the Wolfman remake)... the only thing that could've made this movie better for Johnston's resume is maybe a Rick Moranis cameo just for the hell of it..........

It's all a matter of opinion: I cannot stress enough that THIS is my opinion, you can either agree with me or not... I don't have to justify my opinion, because *clear throat* that's what this blog is about. Whether I like it or not doesn't mean you have to or not...... it's just my justification for giving you all MY recommendation...... which leads me to my FINAL JUDGMENT

FINAL JUDGMENT: if you haven't had the honor of seeing this movie yet, DO IT NOW...... Captain America and Uncle Sam want YOU to enlist in the amzing film.......... DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO IT!!!!!!!!! Best Superhero movie I've seen since The Dark Knight, and even on the same level...
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

There is is folks, a 97 for "Captain America: First Avenger"

Hopefully I'll have one for "Cowboys & Aliens" soon...
When it's over, come back and thank me...

~The Master is Out

1 comment:

  1. Good review, the movie was very entertaining. But I had higher expectations for this movie. I thought it would be a lot better. I can handle the cheese factor because well its Cap and he is mostly a boy scout. But I don't know I was excited for it and I guess I was over excited. haha Post credit was well worth the wait though.

    ReplyDelete