Friday, July 27, 2012

The New Review - The Amazing Spiderman

Second of Two that I'm behind on



The New Review

The Amazing Spider-man
Directed by Marc Webb
Starring: Andrew Garfield, Emma Stone, Rhys Ifans, Denis Leary


Jump with me

Background Check: Well, Sam Raimi and Tobey Maguire got really pissed and walked out on production of Spider-man 4(and 5), and instead of going forward, Marvel decided to reboot the series... well, did it work? It needed to, because Spider-man 3 was a clusterfuck

Concept: Going back to when Peter Parker first got bitten, before he dated Mary Jane Watson, before he even got out of High School... the real beginning of Spider-man, while telling the little talked about story of what the hell happened to Peter's parents

Execution
Cast: Emma Stone is hot, as Gwen Stacy she was awesome. Rhys Ifans, I wasn't worried at all, I have simply loved Rhys' work. I was worried about Andrew Garfield, and I honestly think he was a better Spidey that Tobey Maguire... Throw in Denis Leary as Capt. Stacy plus Sally Field and Martin Sheen as Aunt May & Uncle Ben Parker... it deserves it Score: 10/10

Characters:
Gwen was great, Connors/Lizard was near perfect, minor characters where nicely placed, but Peter was alittle too fresh with his moves on Gwen to be the nerdy Peter we all loved in the comics... but maybe he was closer to a nerdy Peter of today(would make sense)... But my favorite character move was Norman Osborn. We never saw his face. Not once. Score: 8/10

Story:
This is what set this one aside from the Raimi Trilogy. This story was exactly what the franchise needed. It was dark, brooding, and extremely serious... and it worked. Only issue I had with it at all was Uncle Ben's death was highly anti-climactic, unlike the Raimi original. This time, it seemed important, but not as important enough to the story as it should've been... Score: 9.5/10

Visual:
Again, dark and brooding where it needed to be, and it was great the way it made the movie feel... I think it could've been alittle more dark, but again, it IS Spider-man Score: 8/10

Sound:
It was great, not perfect, but great... I'll go with Score: 9/10

Action:
I think this was an issue. Yeah, there was some action, and some very, very, very good fight scenes, I just think it needed maybe one more. You saw Spidey in action, but I think another mid-level fight scene would've be Amazing Score: 8/10

Humor:
While this movie was as serious as it was, Spidey is known for his wisecracks to break HIS OWN personal tension, and this movie delivered... Score: 10/10

Flow:
This movie was great with the flow. There were no unneeded extra flashbacks, nothing to distract from the story directly, and making Osborn virtually unknown to the viewer, so nothing deviated from the original story it was trying to tell Score: 10/10

Closure:
This story wrapped up, you got a good feel of where it was going, and where it could go, and an extra scene during the credits made to set up for the next movie actually followed the formula of the movie as a whole... Score: 10/10

Extra Oomph:
So, I wasn't happy with Peter being too fresh with Gwen... I wasn't all this impressed with Uncle Ben's murder... But there were three great points to mention that counteracted that... Peter couldn't shoot webs in the comics, he had to build web shooters he invented(check), he got the idea from wrestling(check for at least referenced), and this movie didn't have MJ Watson... Score: 9/10

Final Score: 91.5/100              A- Still better than the Raimi Trilogy

Conclusion: I'm happy they rebooted it. It needed it, to patch the holes Raimi kept stretching open with each movie. Just imagine if Spider-man 4 would've been finished after the shitty third one? This was the way to go, and if Marvel Studios can continue with a sequel that feels just as serious as this one, it would be the best thing Marvel can do for Spider-man since the 90's animated series.
It's all a matter of opinion: I cannot stress enough that THIS is MY opinion, you can either agree with me or not... I don't have to justify my opinion, because *clear throat* that's what this blog is about. Whether I like it or not doesn't mean you have to or not...... it's just my justification for giving you all MY recommendation...... which leads me to my FINAL JUDGMENT

FINAL JUDGMENT: Go see it, you will at least be pleased. Seriously... see it... buy it... see it again... Repeat as needed...
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There ya go... "The Amazing Spider-man" gets a 91.5...... an A- like I gave "X-Men: First Class"... so if you liked that movie, you will like this one too...

Next, I'm going to tangle with the Bat...

When it's over, come back and thank me...

No comments:

Post a Comment